Hi there, freshers of 2019!
If you’ve not already been introduced, we’re Pi Society, but you can call us PiSoc. Our focus is on computer science (and occasionally maths and electrical engineering). We’re a motley crew of hackers, makers, technologists, and nerds.
We’ve got a load of interesting events on the horizon. Part of the roadmap for this year is as follows:
- A trip to Bletchley Park - the birthplace of British computer science
- A trip to an as-of-yet-undecided destination to be chosen by you, the members of PiSoc
- Talks from Rik Ferguson, Richard Hopkins, and Holly Grace Williams
- Society projects - the university has greenlit us building them a magic mirror for public display
- An AI hackathon in partnership with AI Gaming
- Linux install parties - we’ll help you Linux-ify your laptop (there’ll be free pizza, too)
- Gameathons - play video games to win prizes
- Weekly meetings and socials
We also get up to fun nerdy shenanigans like reversing bluetooth-powered kids toys, developing Telegram bots when we’re at the pub, or building terrible robots out of microcontrollers, hot glue and cardboard.
Fresher’s week gameathon
As it’s fresher’s week (at the time of writing, at least), we have a gameathon coming up!
On Friday 20th, between 14:00 to 18:00, we’ll be in Horton D1.24. Free snacks and drinks will be provided.
We’ll be running tournaments of Xonotic (a FOSS Quake clone), Eggnogg+ (a free Nidhogg clone), and Worms Battlegrounds (this link will explain) and giving Raspberry Pis and/or other goodies to the winners.
If you’d prefer to chill out and socialise we also have Mortal Kombat 11, Giraffe Volleyball, One Button Duel, Pinky, and Blind Shootout. We’ll be going to Wetherspoons afterwards for some food and a drink (or several…).
If you have questions about programming, want to learn professional skills for a career in tech, are interested in day trips or guest lectures, or like making (and/or breaking) things, you’ll like it here at PiSoc.
Come see us at the Fresher’s fayre on Wednesday 18th, or at one of our weekly meetings - every Monday in Horton D1.01, between 18:30 and 20:00.